11/25/14

Tramway and Electrical Lighting Equipment in Czernowitz

tram203tram204tram205tram206

35 Jahre
Elektrizität in Cernauti
(Aus einem Gespräch mit dem Direktor Ing. Hildebrand)

Czernowitz feiert heute das 35-jährige Jubiläum der Einführung des elektrischen Lichtes und des Tramway-Verkehres in dieser Stadt.
Während das Gas für Beleuchtung und  Heizzwecke in die Bukowina bis heute keinen Eingang gefunden hat, wurde elektrisches Licht schon in den neunziger Jahren in Czernowitz, allerdings nur vorübergehend, verwendet. Damals hat man bei einem Ball der akademischen Verbindung „Lesehalle“ im Musikvereinssaale für einen Abend eine Maschine aufgestellt, die durch ein Lokomobil angetrieben wurde und zum ersten Male elektrisches Licht aufleuchten ließ, was ungeheueres Aufsehen erregte. Kurze Zeit darauf installierte der damalige Pächter des „Hotel Central“, Silber, im Keller des Gebäudes ein Lokomobil mit einer elektrischen Lichtmaschine und beleuchtete damit die Hotelanlagen. Damit war der erste Schritt zur Benützung der Elektrizität für Beleuchtungszwecke in der Bukowina getan und das Interesse der Bevölkerung für diese Beleuchtungsart geweckt.
Im Jahre 1895 hat die Stadtgemeinde Czernowitz sich entschlossen, ein Werk für Beleuchtungszwecke zu errichten, wobei längere Zeit darüber verhandelt wurde, ob Gas oder Elektrizität zu diesem Zwecke einzuführen wären. Im Bestreben, mit dem Fortschritt zu gehen, entschloß man sich schließlich für die Errichtung eines Elektrizitätswerkes. Der Betrieb für Licht- und Kraftzwecke wurde im Jahre 1896, der Betrieb der Straßenbahn am 1. August 1897 aufgenommen.
Durch die Schaffung des Elektrizitätswerkes und der Straßenbahn tat die Stadt Czernowitz einen großen Schritt nach vorwärts und wurde dem  Westen nicht nur näher gebracht, sondern konnte diesem zum Teile als Vorbild gelten, da Mitte der neunziger Jahre nicht viele Städte des Westens Elektrizitätswerke und nur wenige Städte Europas elektrische Straßenbahnen besaßen. Allerdings hatten die Weststädte damals bereits Gaswerke und empfanden den Mangel an elektrischem Licht nicht im gleichen Umfange wie bisher Czernowitz. Den Vorrang hatte damals Czernowitz sogar der damaligen Reichshauptstadt Wien gegenüber, da selbst diese sich für die Straßenbeleuchtung des Gasflügelbrenners (das Auerlicht war noch nicht erfunden) und der Pferdetramway, sowie des Pferdeomnibusses bediente. Aehnlich stand es in jenen Zeiten auch in Berlin.
In den Anfängen des Betriebes des Elektrizitätswerkes und der Straßenbahn hatte dieses Unternehmen mit materiellen Schwierigkeiten zu kämpfen, da die Bevölkerung in der ersten Zeit den Wert und die Wohltaten des elektrischen Lichtes noch nicht erfassen konnte, ja in einigen Fällen sogar diesem „Teufelswerk“ feindselig und ablehnend gegenüberstand.
Die ersten Gebäude, welche in Czernowitz das elektrische Licht einführten, waren das „Hotel Central“, Hotel „Schwarzer Adler“ und der Stadtmagistrat. Für die Straßenbeleuchtung wurde das elektrische Licht nur im Stadtzentrum eingeführt, während die Peripherie der Stadt sich noch immer mit den tieftraurig brennenden Lampen auf rotweißgestrichenen Holzpfählen begnügen mußte. Doch auch für die elektrische Straßenbeleuchtung wurde nahezu bis in die letzten Jahre der Vorkriegszeit nur in den Hauptstraßen der innersten Stadt Bogenlampen benützt, während die übrigen Straßen sich mit Glühlampen begnügen mußten. Erst allmählich erkannte die Bevölkerung die Vorteile des elektrischen Lichtes, sodaß schon im Jahre 1901 die Elektrizitätswerksanlage um einen neuen Maschinensatz erweitert werden mußte.
Die elektrische Straßenbahn, von der bei Betriebserrichtung und in der ersten Betriebszeit sich insbesondere die untersten Schichten der Bevölkerung ziemlich fern hielten, (weil sie nicht erfassen konnten, wie es möglich war, daß die großmächtigen Wagen ohne Pferdevorspann durch die Straßen rollen und mancher geneigt war, zu glauben, daß der böse Geist mit im Spiele wäre, da die Wagendeichsel sich auf dem Dache befand und die Räder an den Schienen infolge der Besandung der neuerbauten Strecke langmächtige Feuergarben zogen), litt anfangs an Defizit. Schon nach kurzer Zeit jedoch kam die Bevölkerung zur Ueberzeugung, daß behufs Zeitersparnis und der Möglichkeit, um billiges Geld und besonders den Bahnhofsberg zum Ringplatz leicht hinaufzukommen, die Benützung der Straßenbahn von Vorteil sei. Dadurch erhöhte sich die Frequenz der Straßenbahn, sodaß schon im Jahre 1899 der Wagenpark um vier neue Straßenbahnwagen auf 12 erhöht wurde.
Der Fortschritt der Technik brachte um das Jahr 1900 den Dieselmotor, so daß auch unser hiesiges Elektrizitätswerk im Jahre 1903 einen Dieselmotor zwecks weiterer Vermehrung der Leistung zur Aufstellung brachte. Hiebei ist es besonders bemerkenswert, daß wieder Czernowitz dadurch bahnbrechend wirkte, daß der erste 250 P. S. Dieselmotor hier zur Aufstellung gelangte.
Allmählich wurde der Aktionsradius für die Versorgung mit Elektrizität erweitert, das Interesse der Bevölkerung erhöht und dadurch war die Notwendigkeit weiterer Ausbauten der Elektrizitätswerksanlagen erforderlich geworden. Da aber die Werkanlagen in der Althgasse nahe dem Abhang gegen den Klocucicabach errichtet wurde, weil die Universität bei Errichtung des Werkes Einspruch gegen den Bau desselben hinter den Universitätsinstituten erhoben hatte, war die Erweiterung dieser Werkanlagen im Rutschterrain nicht mehr möglich, sodaß man schließlich im Jahre 1911 an die Errichtung eines neuen modernen Hochspannungsdrehstrom-Werkes in der Pruthgasse schreiten mußte, welches am 27. April 1912 mit zwei Dieselaggregaten je 500 P. S. in Betrieb genommen wurde. Schon im Jahre 1913 wurde auch dieses neue Werk um ein neues Aggregat von 500 P. S. erweitert.
Auch der Wagenpark der Straßenbahn wurde in der Zwischenzeit vermehrt und die ursprünglich eingeleisig gebaute Bahnstraße durch eine Doppelgeleiseanlage zwischen Volksgarten und Pruthbrücke erweitert.
Im Jahre 1921 schritt die Gemeinde, welche schon im Jahre 1909 die im Besitze der Fa. Schuckert & Co. befindlich gewesenen Aktien ganz übernommen hatte und Alleinbesitzerin des ganzen Gesellschaftsvermögens war, zur Auflösung der Aktiengesellschaft und Kommunalisierung der Werkanlagen. In diesem Jahre wurde auch das neue Werk um einen Doppelturbinenaggregat von 2000 P. S. von der Siemens Schuckert und der ersten Brünner Maschinenfabrik A. G., im Jahre 1931 um einen weiteren Turbinenmotor von 5000 P. S. von der Fa. Brown-Bowery erweitert. Auch der Wagenpark wurde inzwischen weiter vermehrt und beträgt 24 Motorwagen und zwei Aufladewagen. Durch die Aufstellung dieses 5000 P. S. Aggregates wurde ermöglicht, daß auch die Vorstädte in den Beleuchtungsrayon einbezogen wurden. M. L. (Der Tag, Czernowitz, 12.06.1932)

Elektrizitaet in Cz_Juni1932_DerTag

10/28/14

“A Shtetl in the Caribbean”, a Roadmovie Documentary…

…across Belarus, Ukraine, Israel, USA and Curacao is now on the way to your heart and to your cinema!

Click on CC (closed caption) to turn on/off English subtitles.

Trailer A Shtetl in the Caribbean from Memphis Film & Television on Vimeo.

A SHTETL IN THE CARIBBEAN tells the compelling story of two childhood friends who grew up on Curaçao, in search for their family history in Eastern Europe.

Mark and Tsale, children of Eastern European Jews that fled to Curaçao, travel back to the home countries of their ancestors. In a documentary road-movie across Curaçao, the United States, Belarus, Ukraine and Israel, we witness their discoveries, courage and despair while they are reminded of the sacrifices their parents had to make to provide their family with a better future.

This unknown story is revealed in a journey from the desolate wastelands of Eastern Europe to the exotic Caribbean, a contrast metaphoric for the history of Mark and Tsale’s ancestors.

A SHTETL IN THE CARIBBEAN originated from a strong emotion: we are all part of the same family, no matter how different we are. The film is also an homage to Curaçao, a small island with a big heart, and a place that has been a safe haven for strangers. Only in such a place a human being can truly build a home.

FullSizeRender

BIOGRAPHY MARK WIZNITZER
Named after his two deceased grandfathers per Jewish tradition, Mark Leon Wiznitzer was born in the US and brought to Curacao as a baby. There he was called “ Buchi, ” a popular island nickname that legend dates back to the strongest African slave broken by the loss of his beloved wife, and is still often given to a native first son. In Willemstad, Mark attended the Dutch-language Hendrikschool before he moved to New York City at the age of eleven with his mother. But he returned to spend all his school vacations on Curacao, where he worked with his father in La Confianza, the family-owned department store. After studying political science at the State University of NY in Buffalo, Mark went on to complete a Masters in Foreign Service at Georgetown University. He worked in Curacao for Wiznitzer Brothers, the family’s retail and wholesale business, for a year before he was selected to join the US Department of State as a career diplomat in 1976, at which time he left Curacao for good. During his various assignments in Washington DC, Latin America and Europe, he earned awards for his performance in political and politico-military affairs, and strategic trade. After retiring in 1999, Mark completed an Executive MBA in Vienna. He was a volunteer for Barak Obama’s campaigns for the Democratic nomination and election as President. As a result of his first visit in 2010 to Vashkivtsi, Ukraine, the birthplace of the four Wiznitzer brothers, he organized his family’s restoration of the neglected Jewish cemetery there. He currently lives with his wife, Paula Goddard, in Virginia, where he recently became a volunteer advocate for senior residents of Arlington County.

BIOGRAPHY TSALE KIRZNER
Tsale Kirzner was born on Curaçao as the oldest son of Socher Kirzner and Fania Shusterman, refugees who built a home on the Caribbean island in 1948. He was named after his grandfather from his mothers side, Bezalel, who was killed by a firing squad in Mikasjevits in Belarus, as a warning to the Jewish people living in the town. Tsale went to the Hendrikschool and the Radulphus College on Curaçao, after which he moved to the US to study Sinology at Harvard University and economics at The George Washington University, graduating cum laude. Since 1974 Tsale lives in The Netherlands. Tsale is married to professor Lorraine Uhlaner and is father to five children.

Read more at: http://www.memphisfilmtv.com/een-sjtetl-in-de-cariben/?lang=en

10/25/14

What’s it about: “The Nazi, the Painter and the Forgotten Story of the SS Road”?




Drawings dedicated by Arnold and Anna Daghani to Erich Dubowy



These two letters – Click here for the German transcription! – and the drawings above were sent by Arnold and Anna Daghani to Erich Dubowy between June and September 1976. They are reproduced by special courtesy of Erich’s son Daniel Dubowy from Canada. Concerning the relationship between Arnold Daghani and Erich Dubowy, we learn from Daniel: “…they knew each other from Czernowitz, (they were of the same age) but surely from Bucharest. In the early fifties in Bucharest there were quite a few Czernowitzer artists who socialized and met regularly, and my father who was an architect but also a decent piano player, must have intermingled with them. […] They may not have been close friends but acquainted enough to be in some constant correspondence before and after.” Even more, one of the reasons these letters make compelling reading is their historical relevance, far beyond just personal considerations. 






Arnold Daghani shines a light on his artistic self-conception as well as on his relationship to the Romanian post WW2 artist community, such as to the Czernowitzer poet Alfred Kittner, the Romanian art reviewer Eugen Schileru, the Armenian businessman and art collector Krikor H. Zambaccian, the diplomat and art critic Oscar Walter Cisek, who authored short stories, novels, poems and essays in both German and Romanian. In addition we discover at the bottom of these letters a catalogue of Daghani’s works, which apparently were still in his possession before finally emigrating to England and settling in Hove, near Brighton, one year later in 1977. Daghani died in 1985, a deeply frustrated man, and his work is now held at Centre for German-Jewish Studies at the University of Sussex.


Dr Deborah Schultz comes straight to the point stating in her article “Pictorial Narrative, History and Memory in the Work of Arnold Daghani” as follows: “His frustrations were intensified by the lack of public interest in the camps in Ukraine, with all the attention focused on better-known camps such as Auschwitz, and he strongly believed that his account had to be heard. For Daghani writing and image making may have been the means of locating himself and of finding his way.” You will better comprehend this by reading the first paragraph of Daghani’s second letter: “As an ‘homage’, I received from the public prosecutors the entire investigation procedure file, since, according to the chief prosecutor [Fritz Bauer], it’s solely due to me, that they gained knowledge of the atrocities committed on the other side of the Bug River.” But it’s finally G. H. Bennett,  Associate Professor in History at the University of Plymouth, who – by his article “The Limits of West German Justice in the 1960s: The Post-War Investigation of Walter Gieseke” and his book “The Nazi, the Painter and the Forgotten Story of the SS Road” – is enlightening the historical dimension for us.




Well, the “Nazi” was Walter Gieseke, Oberstleutnant of the Gendarmerie and SS, the “Painter” was Arnold Daghani and the DG IV (Durchgangsstraße IV) was the “SS Road”, the road building project across the Ukraine which resulted in the murder of substantial numbers of Jewish forced labourers, among those many from Bukovina.


At my previous posting “The Stone Quarry on the Bug River at 8 Miles from N 48°40′ E 29°15′” you’ll find additional reports on the fate of the Jewish forced labourers including excerpts from Andrej Angrick’s article “Forced Labor along the ‘Straße der SS'” and Gerhard (Bobby) Schreiber’s memoirs “A Tale of Survival”. After getting numerous answers to our initial question, the final question concerns the moral condemnation and criminal conviction of the war criminals, but read by yourself G. H. Bennett’s conclusion:


“Gieseke was never brought to trial and Daghani would eventually conclude that the West German investigations into the crimes committed along DGIV were ‘merely a farce, a meaningless gesture’. […] The investigation of Walter Gieseke highlights the problems in the 1950s and 1960s of securing justice for crimes committed during the war. The processes of investigating and prosecuting of German war criminals in the context of West German justice in the 1950s and 1960s were not likely to result in a conviction. Gieseke’s defensive strategies maximized the problems facing investigators which resulted from the set of legal, political, social and investigative contexts that made a trial difficult and, in the eyes of many West Germans, unwanted and unwarranted. […] In the case of Walter Gieseke can be glimpsed many of thecomplexiti es that protected the guilty men and women of post-war Germany. Moreover, study of this case hopefully demonstrates the need to discount concerns about ‘practitioners’ trespassing onto the territory of historians. In studying post-war German justice, and indeed most aspects of legal history, there is ample scope for practitioners and historians to pool their skills and approaches to the mutual benefit of truly interdisciplinary scholarship.There is much to be learned from each other and little to be feared.

Additional Links:
“SS film links officer with war crimes” by BBC
“Lost film unearthed in Devon church…” by Daily Mail 
“Arnold Daghani. Who is he?” by Miha Ahronovitz
“The Art of Arnold Daghani” by The Art of Polemics


10/4/14

Selma Merbaum – Ich habe keine Zeit gehabt zuende zu schreiben

cache_2449382754

Gabriele Weissmann: On Monday night the reading for Marion Tauschwitz’s new book “Selma Merbaum – Ich habe keine Zeit gehabt zuende zu schreiben” [I had no time to finish writing] took place at Berlin’s big book-store, Dussmann. Organized as a dialogue between Marion Tauschwitz and the well-known (and beautiful actress)  Iris Berben, introduced by the publisher. The room was packed, and the interest great. Selma’s poems are already quite well-known in Germany and often read in schools. They both read from the book, Marion Tauschwitz also giving a general view of her search for Selma’s background and  Iris  Berben spoke of her love for the poems. She was deeply impressed when she read them in Czernowitz, in the Chessed Shoshana hall, with Prof. Rychlo interpreting.  Berben then read “Poem”, in a personal, very moving manner, in which Selma’s  yearning for love, for life, her sensibility, her premonitions, are so well formulated.   At the end Iris Berben read part of her well-written introduction. Tauschwitz’ book is an insider’s view of Selma’s life and writing, with very accurate research into the family history. She has searched  family records,  read intensively documentation and literature on the subject, interviewed  persons in Europe and Israel, has corrected irregularities including Selma’s correct name. She describes Selma’s strong personality against the background of the social, cultural and political influences on the young girl’s spiritual development.  Her sensitive poetry, her hunger for life, her political views and her sight of the tragic events which took place in the last years of her life. The tragedy of the concentration camps… Selma, through Marion Tauschwitz’s book has become alive again. Her poems are world literature. A lot of applause at the end, and people literally rushed with the books for signature.

Marion Tauschwitz and Iris berben at Kulturkaufkaus Dussmann, Berlin, on 29.09.2014

Ein Radiobeitrag der ARD-Kulturkorrespondentin Maria Ossowski,

auf amazon die ersten Leserstimmen,

sensibel die Einschätzung auf haGalil von Ramona Ambs,

auch ein Literaturblogger hat Selma Merbaums Biografie schon gelesen,

und auch avivia – online magazin hat genau gelesen,

weiterhin eine Rezension von Christel Wollmann-Fiedler.

Read more on Marion’s (litera)tour guide for October/November 2014 at:
http://www.marion-tauschwitz.de/lesetermine/

Czernowitz-5-13 2782