03/5/13

Inauguration of the Jewish Hospital “King Ferdinand I” on March 3rd, 1935

2-nursing-sisters-dr-semet-dr-josef-ohrenstein1

Dr. Josef Ohrenstein (Courtesy by Rob Gartenberg)

Der  Tag$1935 04$0872$003

MAIN SPONSORS
Markus Zucker – Philanthropist, main sponsor
Fanny Rosenzweig – Philanthropist, main sponsor
Joseph Schmidt – Tenor, main Sponsor

REPRESENTATIVES OF THE JEWISH COMMUNITY
Dr. Mark – Chief Rabbi
Dr. Menczer – President of the Jewish Community
Mr Solomovici – Vice President of the Jewish Community
Dr. Josef Ohrenstein – Director of the Jewish Hospital
Dr. Straucher – Former President of the Jewish Community
Dr. Ebner-Fleminger – Former President of the Jewish Community
Dr. Goldfrucht – Ambulance Corps
Dr. Weich – Women Benevolent Society
Mr Klüger – President of the Bnei Brith Lodge
Miss Klinger – Speech in Hebrew
Dr. Grünberg – [Jewish] United Party
Mr Pimes – Jewish Bessarabian Territorial Association
Mrs Menczer – Wife of the President of the Jewish Community
Dr. Greif – Wife of the Vice President of the Jewish Community
Claire Zwecker – Wife of the Head of the Jewish [Religious] Community

OFFICIALS FROM CZERNOWITZ
Dr. Ion Nistor – Minister for Employment
Dr. Dimitrie Marmeliuc – Mayor
Gheorghe Vantu – Czernowitz District Prefect
A. Apati – Storojinet Prefect
Dr. Morariu – Member of Parliament
Dr. Teodorescu – Head of the General Sanitary Inspectorate
Mr Grossariu – Police Secretary
Dr. Hammer – Police Chief Coucellor
Dr. Bodea – President of the Supervisory Board of the Electricity Plant
Albert von Anhauch – Industrialist
Mr Gheorghian – Government Commissioner for the Savings Bank
Dr. Strejac – Chief Physician

OFFICIALS FROM ABROAD
Dr. Nicola Pende – Dean of the Medical College Genua

ARCHITECTURE & BUILDING CONSTRUCTION
Mr Maurüber – Architect
Mr Rothleber – Architect
Mr. Ternbach – Artisan
Mr. Gewürz – Artisan
Mr. Trichter – Artisan
Philipp Dickman – Artisan
Mr. Hochmann – Artisan

ATTENDANCE
Presidents of all charities
President of all students’ fraternities
Staff of the Jewish Hospital
Physicians
Military surgeons
Pharmacists
Hospital nurses

LINKS
http://ehpes.com/blog1/2011/09/24/the-jewish-hospital-in-czernowitz/
http://www.museumoffamilyhistory.com/hosp-czernowitz.htm
http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/bukowinabook/buk2_167.html

JosefSchmidtKonzert1933-1Joseph Schmidt’s Charity Concert (Courtesy by Irene Fishler)
JosefSchmidtKonzert1933-2

11/5/12

Palestine Maritime Lloyd Ltd. Haifa

The Har Zion could take 110 passengers.
(Israel’s National Maritime Museum)
The boat was sunk in 1940.

Ferry boat brings Har Zion passengers into Tel Aviv port.
The ship is identified in the caption as a “Jewish Agency ship”.

Har Zion passengers arrive in Tel Aviv.

http://www.israeldailypicture.com/: The Har Zion (built in 1907) and its sister ship Har Carmel were owned by the Palestine Maritime Lloyd shipping company, formed in 1934. The company and its ships were Jewish owned and operated under these principles:

1) Management according to business and professional basis.
2) Company to involve itself in the process of the building of the country
3) Company must be owned by Jewish interests
4) Ships will be under “Hebrew” flag
5) Crews will be Jewish
6) Ships will be supplied by local products

The Har Zion was mobilized by the British navy at the outbreak of World War II. In August 1940, on a voyage between England and Nova Scotia it was sunk by a German U-boat. Thirty-seven crewmen perished, including 17 Jews.